I know I take a lot of space acknowledging the bloggers and companies from whom I have won prizes. That is, actually, one of the reasons I even started this blog!! I love visiting scores and scores of blogs for the incredible ideas, tips, techniques, and inspiration I get. (Don't even go look at my profile to see how many I follow...Holy Cowness!! I told you not to look!!!....and there are others that I follow by email that aren't on that list...and others that I visit regularly that are on my calendar function that aren't on either of those!)
Papercrafting blogs are amazingly beautiful places and have opened up new vistas of card-making for me that I never knew existed! But today I want to express my appreciation, in particular, for each of them and their amazing generosity in offering prize giveaways. This has made it possible for me to get into papercrafting in much more serious way. And, of course, all this has made me very aware of other products that I absolutely-can't-live-without-NEED!! Ha.
This card of thanks is especially for each of you bloggers and companies who are so kind to offer prizes and giveaways....some that I have won, and others that have been enjoyed by other crafters:
You really have made my day brighter!!!
I also used on this card some of the incredibly lovely iridescent sequins I won from Mariana Grigsby's blog. Oh, my goodness, they are delicious! THANKS, Mariana!!!
The sentiment is from Lil' Inker Rainbows & Clouds Sentiments. I won this set from Amy Kolling's blog last year and I think I've used this set more than any other that I own. I love the font and these mix and match sentiments are perfect for many of the cards I make. THANKS, Amy and Lil' Inker!!
Okay, down to business........
I got a big JoAnn's order on Friday, so I have a bunch of new toys that I am playing with......and new-to-me techniques that I am trying out:
1. Toy #1: Hampton Art Ala Mode Pastel Embossing Powders. I really wanted these to make chalkboard effect cards. But when I saw the lovely spring colors, I knew I wanted to try an ombre effect with them using the W&W stamps I had just received. I stamped the diamond background stamp all over the watercolor paper and sprinkled the pastel shades, one at a time, in sweeps across the card before zapping with the heat gun. LOVE how this turned out!!! I used pink, orange, and yellow, but in the photo you can't tell any of it is orange. Oh, well...
2. Toy #2: Ranger Inkssentials Blending Tool. I had long admired all the lovely cards made by crafters using this blending tool, but had no idea how much difference it would make over my makeshift cosmetic sponges! LOL!!!! I am such a loon. This IS the right tool for the job! It was so much fun using it with the Broken China Distress Ink on the background. Loved how the pastel diamonds just started popping out when I inked around them!!! FUN! I used Worn Lipstick Distress Ink on the sentiment panel and LOVE the gradient effect the blending tool made!!!
Another toy I bought and used for this card was my new paper trimmer. Heretofore, I have done ALL my paper cutting with a utility knife and my metal ruler for a straight-edge on a self-healing mat. It actually works wonderfully well and is cheap. But I thought I would splurge for this on-sale trimmer. I like it so far, although it seems to slightly turn the cut edge down or up...not sure which, yet....prob down. But it is very fast compared to my previous method. LOVE that!! :)
Another new-to-me technique is water splattering. Always before, I thought the idea was NOT to splatter water (or tea or coffee) on my projects.....and here I was doing it on purpose!!! Ha. I tried this same card on some slightly textured cardstock and it did not have the look I was wanting, so I tried it again on the watercolor paper. That was the trick!! When I splattered it with water, the lovely Distress Ink did its magic and made the sweet little spots that I think add interest to this background.
My goodness, I am a wordy old thing!!! Such a simple card and I talk and talk and talk. lol....
I would love for you to talk to me, too. Please leave a comment below. I would love to hear what you think of my first attempt at some of these new techniques and using my new toys.
Tell me what your pets are doing now that spring is on its way!
Make me shut up and smile by joining on the side panel and becoming a follower! Actually, that might only have one of the desired effects! :) :) :)
I am entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Winnie & Walter Join in to Win
2. Speedy Fox and Friends Challenge Week 204
|Inspiration photo for Speedy Fox and Friends #204|
3. A Creative Need - March Challenge #17 - Blue, Yellow, and Pink
|Inspiration photo for A Creative Need #17|
Inkspirational Challenge #52 - Photo Challenge
Aren't these just the most sensational inspiration photos?????? Love 'em!!!
CAT STATUS UPDATE:
Our sweet little Jetta cat came back home today. Ever since we moved to our new house 2-1/2 yrs ago (is that right???), two of our kitties have migrated back and forth over the pastureland between the old house and here. It isn't very far, really, but it is over coyote land and I really wish they would stay here. Bonzi is getting up there in years and tends to stay here more and more (whew!) but Jetta still goes back and forth way too much. I always breathe a relieved and grateful sigh when I see her here where she belongs. As the weather warms up, we probably will see less and less of Jet-Girl and Bonzi, as they decide they can live off the land for the warm months. Stay home, kitties, where it is safe!!!