Sunday, July 24, 2016

Sunshiny Butterfly Altered Jar

Hard to see, but this silky-coated tabby has found a butterfly.  (Not my kitty, BTW.)  Love how cats' whiskers fan forward when they are super-interested in something.  Awww...so cute!

Hi, Friends....

I am back with another butterfly project that I made as a birthday gift for a friend.  It's a sunny altered sweet treat jar full of Kraft caramels.
(Oh, blissful and rapturous yummy goodness! You can't begin to imagine how many bags of these I have to buy in order to have some on hand for treat jars!!!)


This project fits Mrs. A's  Butterfly Spot Challenge of Butterfly + D is for Dimension.  (I didn't use the other option of D is for Denim this time....but you still have time to do that!)



I Mod Podged strips of book paper onto my jar and later remembered why I should gesso the jar first.
(Who can resist the urge to squint sideways inside the jar to try to see what this slightly steamy discarded book....that even the local thrift store couldn't or wouldn't sell...has to say????? Ha. Don't tell anyone!!! Good thing the paper was in strips! Ummm...maybe I better just shut up about it now...)



I scribbled over the book paper with several colors of Gelatos and blended them together with my (now yellow) finger, moistened with water to make them smooth and creamy.  Gelatos are such a pretty medium and so wonderfully easy to use.

My Serendipity - Floral Butterflies are made from tissue paper I had used underneath a previous project to catch the overspray.  (I think it was from this project. There's a photo where you can see the tissue.)   I folded up the splattered tissue and die cut a bunch of butterflies...4 or 5 at a time....and then stamped them each with Distress Ink in Pumice Stone.  Then I applied them to my jar with a bit of Mod Podge.  I outlined them with a black Faber-Castell Pitt Big Brush Marker and then with a white one over that to soften the black outline.


I added some leaves die cut from my Sizzix Originals - Build a Lilac die set along with some Prima flowers and pearl centers.  I finished the body of the jar with a bit of twine and a cute heart button.  

The lid was done in a similar fashion, except I made a base of only gesso instead of interesting book paper!  :)



I have a lot of fun making these treat jars.  They take a little bit of time, but I love the results.  

Hope you enjoyed seeing my altered jar.  Thank you for your amazing comments.  You make my day!!!  

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this altered treat jar in the following challenges:
1. Mrs. A's Butterfly Spot Challenge - Butterfly + D is for Denim and/or Dimension
2. Serendipity Stamps Challenge #57 - Just Add Water (I added water to my Gelatos to smooth them around on my background.)
3. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Things with Wings
4. DL.Art July Linky Challenge - AG
5. Penny Black at All Sorts July Challenge - AG with a stamp
6. Dragonfly Journeys Challenge #67 - Sugar Rush (I didn't use a sugary image, but my jar is full of caramels!!  Hope that counts.)
7. Southern Ridge Trading Co July Challenge - AG Summer
8. The Ribbon Girls July Challenge - Any Image

16 comments:

  1. Oh my, you had me a Kraft caramels...yum! I could do with one or two myself right now (and I mean bags, not pieces!). I love the look of book pages in altered projects but find that I am totally unable to pull a book apart to use in my projects, no matter how terrible the book! The only ones I've been able to tear to pieces are manuals of health insurance or legal information...which don't really add to the mood of a piece over all. This sunny yellow confection is a cheerful gift for any lover of beautiful things and that triple-wrapped rustic twine is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the texture on the decor wrap. Love it all! Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Things with Wings Challenge. Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project, love the colours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness this is a treat all by itself. I'm sure if you were to undo the lid we could all help out with the 3D contents!! This is a lovely idea for a gift and now you have me puzzling which book it could possibly have been. Fifty shades of Grey maybe! Thankyou for fluttering by my challenge. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am intrigued about the book, after her comments! I'm thinking more like a Harlequin romance book, complete with heaving bosoms...ha!

      Delete
    2. Oh, stop!! You are making me turn red, both of you! lol...

      I don't even know if I still have the cover of it. It was in a box of "FREE" books at my local thrift store, so I grabbed it for mixed media stuff. I didn't even pay attention to the content until I was making an art journal page base and.....oh, my....thought I'd better put an extra layer of gesso on that one!!! Eeek!!! Even after that, I forgot to gesso this jar first. No accounting for my brainless behavior sometimes!!! :)

      Thank you for adding to my merriment!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. WOW Janis, that looks amazing! Love an altered jar as they are so useful and so pretty. Filling them with something yummy makes for a great gift idea for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very bbeautiful altered jar!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous creation...love your wonderful jar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great useful project and pretty Lis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job on the jar!! Such a cool gift. I love the colors and butterfly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet! You turned something ordinary into something AMAZING! I'd love to see this sitting on my desk every day as a reminder of the beautiful things you can create!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janis! I adore your recycled jar project! You've made it look just beautiful and the sugary goodness inside is always a special treat. Thanks so much for joining my challenge this week :)

    Jeannie T.
    Dragonfly Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great jar Janis! Thanks for playing along on the Southern Ridge Trading Company Blog!
    -Katelyn DT member at Southern Ridge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaaah lovely and thanks for joining us at Penny Black & More this month, luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis