Saturday, August 13, 2016

"Wild about Pears" Altered Treat Jar


Hi, Friends.....

I am here with another altered treat jar.  This is one that I made in a hurry......all in one day!!!  Eeeek!  Some girlfriends and I suddenly decided to get together to celebrate a birthday a week early.  Whaa-aaat???  Early???  Panic city!!!  (Well...this was not actually a whole week early but since we are usually late in our celebrations, this seemed VERY early!! Esp since last year at this time we were evacuated because of the terrible fires which surrounded our community. We didn't celebrate this girlfriend's BD until October!!)   Needless to say....I was NOT ready!

I knew I wouldn't have time for lots of extras this time and I also knew I would be gone the day before the party, so I did a very quick Mod Podge job on a discarded jar before I left in the morning.  I used a colorful ink-stained baby wipe previously used for cleaning up a messy project and also some reused gift wrap tissue.  This base coat had a chance to dry while I was gone and I could resume working on it that night.


This ribbon is more of an apricot color IRL rather than this pink, but I don't know how to edit my photos well enough to make it look right without everything else looking weird!!  Eeek!
I chose an autumny pear theme for my jar.  Actually, I went kind of pear crazy!!  Besides this treat jar filled with caramels, the rest of my gift included a tea towel in these colors with pears, a notepad shaped like a pear, some home-canned pear butter, along with some other color-coordinated things that were not pears.  :)  (Problem was that the only pear-themed gift bag I had was one with a "Partridge in a Pear Tree".....but it was in roughly the same colors, so a Christmas bag she got! LOL....)

I gessoed the lid and then added some bright colors to the jar and lid by rubbing in some Gelatos.  I stamped some scrap tissue with a pear stamp (unidentified from a thrift store) using Versafine ink in Onyx Black and Mod Podged it on.  I sealed everything with another coat of Mod Podge and let it dry overnight.  In the morning before I left for the brunch party, I put a bow on it and snapped a quick photo.  

I usually add more layers and/or embellishments to my altered jars, but I was pleased just to be able to pull this one together in one day.  I think my friend liked it and I hope you enjoyed it, too.

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for visiting my blog!!!

<3
Janis


Thank you for the honor of entering this altered treat jar in the following challenges:
1. Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Try to Contain Yourself
2. Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge #146 - Anything But a Card with Ribbon or Trim
3. DL.Art August Linky Challenge - AG
4. SRTC August Challenge - Anything Goes
5. One Crazy Stamper August Challenge - Fall/Halloween (Pears seem autumny to me.)

6. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Let's Go Wild (I went wild with pears!!)

12 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME, Janis. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing it in our Anything But A Card Challenge. We hope you will join us again soon.
    Blessings,
    Karen
    Really Reasonable Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty, I love altering, well, ANYTHING! Its always fun to re-purpose something and make it beautiful and useful again. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even when you do a little quick job on these jars they are always a treat .............Lis

    ReplyDelete
  4. An awesome project. Thank you for joining us at One Crazy Stamper this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I am so impressed that you whipped out this little masterpiece in a day! It is gorgeous and I love the light and refreshing color palette you went with. The texture is amazing and this transformation makes me think that this is one lucky jar! I also enjoyed your witty post, which had me laughing as I could relate to the whole early-birthday-cause-we're-used-to-celebrating-late thing! So true! Good thing your skills stay intact even during crunch time! Thanks for sharing this beauty with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous jar Janis!! I love how you used a baby wipe from a previous project and recycled gift wrap! brilliant recycling and I am sure your friend loves it :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, my mind is only working at half speed (or maybe only quarter speed). As I read your description of your gift, I kept wondering how in the world you fit caramels, a tea towel, pear butter, a note-pad, and even more stuff into that little jar! Okay, so I finally figured out that only the caramels went into the jar, sigh... Anyway, I love how you up-cycle these jars and make them pretty, fun and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for joining the Challenge at One Crazy Stamper! Cheers, Lora

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very neat! Thank you so much for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janis- I live in Grangeville, Idaho and we also have a Janis that lives here as well. Beautiful jar. Nancy Hill, Really Reasonable Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great jar! Thanks for playing along with us on the Southern Ridge Trading Company Blog!
    -Katelyn DT member at Southern Ridge

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis