Monday, February 18, 2019

Arty Zinnias



Hi, Friends.....

I am here with a card that is over 20 years in the making. (I TOLD you I am slow at making cards! Hahahaha....) My story is long (so you can just skip to the card, if you wish!) and starts long, long ago in a state far away.....actually, right next door to Idaho where I live now.

Way back when I was first starting to stamp, I purchased some pretty floral and vase wood-mount stamps. I was still learning the basics of stamping and masking. Using some ancient black ink pad (that I prob still have somewhere!!!), I stamped this vase, masked it, and then repeatedly stamped the zinnias....not masking them from each other. Well.....it didn't look anything like what I was expecting.....it was black flowers in a patterned vase. Ugh... (Ha! Not sure why I expected anything different than this!!! lol...)

I eventually progressed in my stamping experiments to coloring on these stamps with a marker before stamping and that worked a lot better. But I liked this particular bouquet arrangement, so I didn't discard the stamped/masked image......I just stuffed it into a box with my early stamping supplies and moved it all over Oregon, Washington, and Idaho......and.......several months ago I found it again!!!

It is amazing what 20+ years can do to your perspective. I loved the arty look of these solid zinnias, and thought to myself...."Hey, I finally know what to do with these!!" I got my Spectrum Noir markers out and started coloring right over the solid black ink. I LOVE IT!!!! I colored these several months ago, and just today decided to team it up with some Winnie & Walter supplies to make a card. So.......yes, this card took over 20 years to make!! :)



I think the shadowy black stamping on the flowers gives them almost a 3-D look.

Winnie & Walter has a "Use 3+ stamp sets" Challenge right now during their 5th Birthday Bash. You can see the two ancient wood-mount stamps and the newer stamp set I used in the photo below. It's not exactly 3 stamp *sets*, but I hope this qualifies for their challenge.



Supplies used include:
Ancient long-retired stamps: Stampendous - Ginger Jar H65 and Rubber Stampede - Zippy Zinnia Z221E
Winnie & Walter - Sentimental: Gift stamp set
Versafine ink in Onyx Black
Winnie & Walter - Essentials: Katharine Cutaways die set
Winnie & Walter - Essentials: Tilda Cutaways die set
Spectrum Noir markers
Core'dinations and Darice solid cardstock

Hope you like my bright floral card!! Maybe these vivid colors will help take away some winter dreariness. We are bracing for single digits tonight and more snow in the next few days. Hope you are staying safe and warm. Thank you for stopping by!!!


Janis



Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Winnie & Walter 5th Birthday Bash - 3+ Stamp Set Challenge
2. Winnie & Walter 5th Birthday Bash - 5 Challenge (my card has 5 zinnias)
3. Winnie & Walter Build a Scene Using Masking Challenge (I masked to put flower stems inside the jar)
4. Mod Squad Challenge - Spring Flowers
5. Craft Stamper February TIMI Challenge - AG with Stamping
6. Word-Art Wednesday Week #374-375 - AG
7. Penny Black and More February Challenge - AG w/ opt of tags
8. CARDZ-TV Anything Goes Challenge #83
9. Jo's Fun-Day Friday Challenge #269 - Anything Goes

10 comments:

  1. A super vibrant card and how amazing that it took 20 years in the making - a fabulous story! Many thanks for joining us this month at Penny Black and More xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your zinnias are a blooming riot of colour. You have brought them bang up to date. Hope we don't have to wait to long before you use the stamps again. I dread to think what I have lurking in a box somewhere. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, first, I am totally amazed that you got that fabulous vibrant color by coloring over the black! I thought it was a cut-out picture, they look so realistic! Second, I'm glad to know that someone else is running neck-and-neck with me in the turtle crafters lane. : ) Thanks for the smiles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!!! Such bright, vibrant and stunning card!!! So beautiful!!! The flowers seem a fussy cut paint, you have done a superb work with your markers!!! The colours combo looks great and make the zinnias pop out!
    (P.S. I'm so relieved that there is someone more slow than me about using stamped images... ah ah ah LOL :D )
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty card! Thanks for joining us at Penny Black & More Challenge!
    x Daniela (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. What a fun and fabulous card. Thanks for playing along with us this week at Jo's Fun Friday. AJ DT JFF

    ReplyDelete
  8. 20 years! Wow, that is some story for your card! Love that you kept going with it. Those blooms turned out so sweetly colored. And of course, using the single stamps count as a different set : ) Thanks so much for joining our W&W birthday celebration challenge, Janis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rather belatedly (I've had internet problems) my thanks for sharing your lovely creation with us at Penny Black and More challenge this month.

    B x

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis