Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Never Too Late for a Spring Crocus......


"A human may go for a stroll with a cat;  he has to walk a dog.  The cat leads the way, running ahead, tail high, making sure you understand the arrangement.  If you should happen to get ahead, the cat will never allow you to think it is following you.  It will stop and clean some hard-to-reach spot, or investigate a suspicious movement in the grass; you will find yourself waiting and figeting like the lackey you are.  But this is not annoying to cat lovers, who understand and appreciate a good joke, even when it is on them."

                                                                              ----------Robert Stearns


Hi, Friends......

I am back with a card that turned out quite minimalist....at least compared with how I envisioned it.  Somehow, as I got putting my things together, I realized that every flourish and layer I intended seemed to draw away from the simple beauty of this lovely IBS Garden Seed Packets spring Crocus image, which I stamped on snowy white watercolor paper.  I even decided not to frame it with the seed packet stamp that came in this set...... since crocus come as corms, not as seeds.  :)  

I painted the crocus image very simply with Crayola watercolor pencils and a waterbrush to blend the hues.







Here's the current Atlanta Hearts Sketch Challenge sketch I followed virtually to the letter.  I also used this week's MFP Color Challenge of purple, green, and yellow for my color scheme.



 

I especially want to draw your attention to the lace ribbon I used.  My amazing son found the pretty white/green/yellow lacy seam binding ribbon at a thrift store and put it in with the other Mother's Day goodies he gave me.  What a terrific son!  He sure knows me and what I love!  (THANKS, James!!)  I layered it over some other yellow lace trim I had (also from a thrift store, heh!) and finished the card with stick-on pearls. Other materials I used include:  DCWV  and K&Co. papers.

Hope you like this rather minimalist card.  I found the simplicity quite refreshing.  Have a lovely mid-week!

<3 
Janis

THANK YOU for the honor entering this card in the following challenges:
1.  MFP Speedy TV Color Challenge #25 - Purple, Green, and Yellow 
2.  Atlantic Hearts Challenge Sketch #58  
3.  QKR Stampede Challenge #90 - Baby, Spring, or Celebration 
4.  Inkspirational Challenges #57 - Bloom 
5.  Eclectic Ellapu - Pinkies Challenge - Spring 

20 comments:

  1. The simplicity of your card is precisely what makes it stunning! Your crocus is a gorgeous focal point and the ribbon adds such a special touch! Absolutely delightful! Thank you for sharing your bloom-inspired card at Inkspirational Challenges!
    c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely and encouraging comment. I appreciate you stopping by!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. Very pretty, I really like how this came together.....thank you for playing along with us this week at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge. It's great to have newbies join us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle, for your visit and for your sweet comment. I will be looking for more fun sketches and challenges at Atlantic Hearts!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. How pretty. Thanks for sharing at MFP.........Lis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I am addicted to MFP! Ha.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. I really like the clean layout and the added romantic touch with lace details! Thanks for joining us at Inkspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nonni. I appreciate your sweet comment so much!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. Nothing says spring quite like a beautiful crocus and yours fits the bill perfectly! Beautiful coloring and I love the simplicity of it which lets the flower shine by itself! Thanks so much for joining us this week at QKR Stampede!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherri. Your comment made my day!! I love seeing the crocuses blooming, sometimes even before the spring snows have all gone away.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  6. Very pretty card and beautifully designed. Thanks for joining us this week for our "Baby, Spring, or Celebrations." Come back to join us again and good luck.
    Karal QKR Stampede DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karal, for visiting and for leaving such a nice comment!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  7. what a pretty card! i love the color combo! Thanks for playing with us this week at AHSC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words and your visit!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  8. Love that crocus and i love the colors. Great card. Thanks for joining us at AHSC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Barbara!! The colors for the challenge I also entered just seemed like a crocus card to me!! :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  9. Your colouring is lovely and those pearls add such an elegant touch, Thanks for playing along with AHSC this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure abt the pearls, but was glad I went ahead and added them after I saw how they gave that little extra touch my card needed. Thanks so much for stopping in!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  10. Very pretty, I really love the colouring on your card. Thanks for playing along with AHSC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandi! I love using my waterbrush and watercolor pencils...or with the ancient watercolor set I have from when my kids were young! Eeeek! :) Thank so much for visiting my blog!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis