Friday, July 20, 2018

Defying the Laws of Physics with Scraps!!


Hi, Friends......

I am squeaking in under the wire with a snippets card for Di's Pixie's Snippets Playground Challenge. I have been so busy with summer activities and working in my garden that my cardmaking has taken a back seat. 


Recently, though, I had a brainstorm about what to do with my big pile of odd-shaped white/off-white cardstock scraps. I had an ancient kids' ink pad which was coming apart but still had plenty of ink in it. I couldn't just waste it, right??? So I misted and smooshed it on my craft mat and dyed a bunch of the scraps to use for die-cutting.
PROBLEM: I know that all cardmakers will understand when I say that no matter how many scraps I dyed and die-cut, my scrap pile never got smaller!!! What's more, I ALSO ended up with a huge pile of dyed scraps, and multidinous little piles of lovely die cuts....PLUS a wastebasket full of tiny scraps. WHERE did these all come from???? Why is it that you absolutely can NOT use up scraps???? They merely multiply....more and more. It totally defies all known laws of physics!! Arrrrgh!!! What insane explanation can there be besides spontaneous generation???? So much for the law of conservation of mass!


Here is spontaneous generation in action:  you can see my NON-diminishing pile of white and cream cardstock scraps, the defunct ink pad, my big pile of dyed cardstock, and my little piles of pretty die cuts.  You can also see my stubbornly stained craft mat that won't come clean and is now permanently dyed green.  (I haven't tried alcohol yet, but this might indeed drive me to drink!!  Ha.)








I had an order for an anniversary card so I made this one with a few of the scraps: 


Products used include:
Winnie & Walter - Sentimental: Gift stamp set
Versafine ink in Onyx Black
Sizzix - Thinlits TH Wildflowers #1 die set
My Favorite Things Die-namics - Stitched Oval STAX die set
Winnie & Walter - Essentials: Audrey Cutaways die set
Verve - Sprightly Sprigs die set (discontinued)
Various white cardstock, mixed media paper, and watercolor paper scraps
Kids ink pad (should just have been thrown away, but nooooo!!!)

Hope you enjoyed my card with its soft watery look. I love how it turned out....even though I ended up with more scraps than I started with! lol...

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you are having a lovely summer....or winter for my upside-down season friends in NZ and Aussie-land! :)

<3
Janis


Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Pixie's Snippets Playground Challenge #330 - Use Snippets
2. Ellibelle's Crafty Wednesday July Challenge - Summertime
3. Southern Girls Challenge - Tic Tac Toe (I used diagonal - Ink, Stamp, White)
4. Word-Art Wednesday Weeks 344-345 - Anything Goes
5. CARDZ-TV Anything Goes Challenge #56
6. DL.ART Thankful Thursday #232 - Anniversary
7. Tuesday Throwdown #401 - Stitching-real or faux
8. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Use a die or punch
9. The House that Stamps Built DCC74 - The Great Outdoors
10. DL.ART July Linky Challenge - AG

14 comments:

  1. Super cool - what a great idea and I love the die cuts you made. That is a very effective card xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. your card is so very nice!

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...I feel your pain Janis. I believe I read somewhere that you are supposed to THROW AWAY the scraps when they get so small you have to pick them up with tweezers...and end this vicious cycle. However, you and I know that action is just not in our DNA...and so it goes. On the plus side, you now have a pile of gorgeous die cut wildflowers that you can add to just about any spring or summer project. As you gifted me with this same lovely die set, I'm tempted now to make my own inky, smooshy mess. I can use a different color scheme and we can swap dies cuts....therefore adding to each others unruly scrap stashes. What else are crafty friends for anyway? Your anniversary card couldn't be more perfect for this subtly colored combo and the wildflower bouquet is just beautiful. I love how you stamped the sentiment directly on your card front for a simple, uncluttered look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that turned out lovely! Now just make 30 more! I have lately been considering collage but that just means you have to keep every millimeter of scraps on purpose!


    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and pretty card and I have the same problem with scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Janis! I'm finally making time to catch up a little. Sorry I've dropped off the map for so long. I HAVE been enjoying your posts in my inbox in the meantime. :)

    I totally hear you on the scrap pile conundrum!! Right up there with cats landing on their feet and bread falling butter side down. lol. I applaud your creative use of materials that might otherwise be wasted and the end result is ever so lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An amazing creatin Janis, loving the desing and gorgeous colors!
    Thank you so much for sharing this month at my Crafty Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card, can't believe its made with scraps.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely card Janis - love the soft and very pretty tones of bluish green. Great layout and I did giggle about those scraps multiplying - it's the cry from most of us I think. And of course you daren't throw a little piece away JUST in case it's needed at some point in the future! I think we're caught in a trap of our own making :)

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful card Janis and I agree about the scraps, no matter how much I use up, the pile seems to grow! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card is very soft and pretty. The scraps look great and you will be able to make some fabulous cards with them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh your post made me laugh! We all know about multiplying scraps! Eeeeek! Gorgeous card - love the watercolour feel and you have lots of beautiful die cuts left to create with! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the soft look, gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and beautiful card!! And what a genius idea for using those white/off-white scraps! Though, I completely agree that using up scraps really doesn't seem to help out any; it just makes smaller scraps! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis