I am here to share a fun card with you today. I don't make shakers very often, but when I got organizing my stash a little bit and discovered how many additional containers of sequins I have....well, you know the rest. The cure for having too many sequins is.......to buy more! Then you'll have *way* too many sequins!! Ha. No, the best cure is to make shaker cards, right? :)
I was inspired by Mrs. A's Butterfly Spot Challenge which asks us to use a butterfly + D is for Denim (color) and/or D is for Dimension. I used both of the D options in my card.
I used lots of die cuts from scraps all over my card, but found a stamped butterfly lying hidden for well over a year in my stash. It was from a lovely ancient set called Victorian Butterflies. I had been dissatisfied with this stamped image at the time, but it had the right colors for this card. Since I was still not entirely happy with it.......it was time to tweak!
I originally had rubbed metallic Gelatos over the surface of the stamp and misted lightly before stamping it on white cardstock. The effect was a pale, shimmery, rather amorphous butterfly....which looked way too sorry to use. So.....I fussy cut around the image and added some fuchsia and blue watercolor to portions of it and then stamped the image again over the top with Distress Ink in Faded Jeans.
(I knew I'd never get it stamped in the right place if I stamped in the ordinary way.....so I inked the old style square foam-mounted red rubber stamp and turned it inky side upwards....then carefully laid my butterfly face-down over it. Since the piece was already fussy cut, I could pretty easily see where I needed to lay it down. Voila! It actually worked!!)
My background is one I just made from......wait for it.....(Janis is cringing in embarrassment that I actually saved this stuff...) leftover Easter egg dye!!! Yes, I still had it sitting around dried up in cups from my granddaughter dying eggs. At least it is from THIS year!!!! lol...
I made this pale background by misting a fresh sheet of mixed media paper with water and gently pressing it down over a deeply pigmented one. It picks up just the right amount of ink for a lovely pastel hue and for being impossible to photograph! (What a bonus, huh? lol.. )
Other supplies used:
Victorian Butterflies stamp set (discontinued)
Winnie & Walter - In a Word: Happy Cutaway die (This cuts like butter and no need for prying the cardstock out afterwards! THANKS, W&W!!!)
Sizzix - Branch with Leaves die
Sizzix Originals - Build a Lilac die
My Favorite Things Die-namics - Stitched Oval STAX die set
DCWV glitter paper for leaves
Dollar store glitter on the butterfly and flower centers from my stash
Thrift store sequins and glass beads from my stash
Dollar store craft foam between the shaker layers
Acetate sheet from my stash
I put the shaker all together and lifted the petals and wings for dimension and called it good. One shaker's worth of sequins down, 1000 to go!
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope the rest of your weekend is wonderful!!!
Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Mrs. A's Butterfly Spot Challenge - Butterfly + D is for Denim and/or Dimension
2. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Things with Wings
3. Pixie's Snippets Playground Week #239 - Use Snippets
4. The Ribbon Girls July Challenge - Any Image
5. Crop Stop Linky Party #18 - AG Using product CS carries (I used Distress Ink)
6. DL.Art July Linky Challenge - AG
7. Southern Ridge Trading Co July Challenge - AG Summer
8. ColorSnap July Color Challenge