Monday, July 13, 2020

Small Card with Babushka Doll


Hi, Friends......

Okay, be honest with me here....raise your hand if you have items that have been in your stash for over 20 years. Uh-huh...same here!

Back when I was first into cardmaking, a friend gave me several bags of lone envelopes. She stocked the greeting cards at a local grocery....and apparently when they had out of season cards, they destroyed the cards and discarded the envelopes. Lots of times in commercial card displays the envelopes were a real mess....and you had to hunt for the correct size for the card you were selecting. (Remember back when we used to BUY cards.....and were thousands of dollars richer??? lol..) This friend would gather up all the stray envelopes when she was changing out her display and give them to me!!! (heart eyes) I STILL HAVE MANY OF THEM!!!!! (embarrassed eyes) I've used a fair number of them, but a decent sized plastic box stuffed full of them is still on my shelf!

This stash of stray envelopes contains a variety of different colors, sizes and patterns and I rarely open the box to use anything from it. I recently checked to see what the minimum size required for mailing is. I found that for the USA the envelopes have to be at least 3-1/2" x 5". So I pulled out the ones I found of this size and now have a little stack of roughly a dozen of these little mailers. And now...my goal is to use them up by making small cards that fit them. (Naturally, I CAN'T just give this whole box to a thrift store and be rid of the mess. Oh, no.....that would be admitting defeat! Must use. Must use. Hahahaha...)

So I cut a leftover Babushka Doll from patterned paper in my scrap bag and put her on a small card. I actually found that I LOVE the scaled-down size of this card. One small image completely takes over the card. Easy peasy!! I added a sentiment and some Nuvo drops and this sweet little card was complete. Now I am looking forward to making more of these small sized cards!!




























Supplies used include:
Babushka Doll from an old MAMBI stack
The Alley Way Stamps - Speak Easy stamp set (retired)
Versafine Ink in Onyx Black
Lawn Fawn - Small Stitched Rectangles die set
DCWV scraps of patterned cardstock
Tonic Studios - Nuvo Drops

Do you have stray envelopes in your stash? Maybe my card will inspire you to make some cards of different sizes for them, too. Thank you so much for stopping by!!

🖤
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Tuesday Throwdown Challenge #461 - Polka Dots
2. Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper July Challenge
3. Word Art Wednesday Weeks #446-#447 - AG
4.
Creative Fingers Challenge #190 - AG 
5. Cardz-TV AG Challenge #118
6. Allsorts Week #580 -Something that Begins with B (I chose B for Babushka Doll)
7. Show & Share July Challenge
8. Stamplorations Summer Challenge - AG

Save

8 comments:

  1. A great B, thank you for joining us at Allsorts, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh hands up guilty here on the 20yrs and over stash -and guilty once again with the envelope box lol my daughter worked in a card shop and when it closed I inherited quite a lot of different sized envelopes and like you not a lot used! what are we like lol and as you say it's in the stash-it must be used lol.I am also of the mind set make the card and find an envelope to fit your idea of fitting the cards to the envelope makes more sense-I have even watched some u-tube videos on making an album using envelopes too.Love your beautiful card and love the P.paper you used for your doll perfect for "just because" cards
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great image for our challenge and lovely papers and colours. Thank you for joining our 'B" challenge at Allsorts.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute card and great way to use the small envelopes--I have quite a stash too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sitting here with my hand up because I not only have stash that is at least 20 years old, but I also have a box full of those mismatched envelopes that I got from a stationary store years and years ago. They were clearing out all the old cards at our local Hallmark store, and they offered grab bags (boxes, actually) of assorted envelopes. They are all colors and sizes, and of course I had to buy some. They were ridiculously cheap, and I have no will-oower, so I have used them with my Senior Center card class, the Girl Scouts, my daughter's school projects...you name it. I still have a huge number left over and have been trying to use them up as well. Spent several days cutting card bases to fit some of the odd-sized envelopes and now you've reminded me to start using them.
    That little doll is adorable and you mixed and matched your patterned papers so perfectly.
    Oh, and I am still laughing over that cat meme...gotta love the Spanx cat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous choice of image for our "I spy something with B" theme at Allsorts! So beautifully done too, thanks so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card makes ME Smile! It’s wonderful to see you try new things and play with techniques. So glad that you join the fun with my “Show & Share”! WONDERFUL! Very happy to see your lovely work! Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card! Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis