Wednesday, October 21, 2015

BEWARE.... -- FWF 10-21


TRANSLATION:
CAT:  Dude, that was awesome!  I've never seen my human run across the CEILING before!
SPIDER:  Told you...

<<<MARK YOUR CALENDARS>>>> 
Oct. 26-30, 2015
Right here at Her Peaceful Garden
http://herpeacefulgarden.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-cat-lovers-hop-is-here.html

Don't be scared!  The Hop doesn't start until next Monday!!

Get a head start by looking at the Hop Guidelines Page!!



Hi, Friends.......

I hope you are having a good week.  I was feeling sluggish and tired for the first part of the week, but am better today.  I think it was the cool, damp, gray weather.  Today is sunny and I have a lot more energy.  Does that ever happen to you?

I am here with my token spooky/creepy project for the Halloween season that I made for the Unity - Friends with Flair Link Up this week.  I am not into the darker side of Halloween with witches, ghosts, etc.  I much prefer cutesy bats, cats, etc.  But I manage to make some creepy looking mixed medium thing once a year and this is it...an art journal page...because, honestly, who would I send a card like this to???  Don't know about you, but spiders totally creep me out!!! EEEK!!

My mixed media project started as several book pages glued together for support.  Then I Mod Podged a kleenex that had been used to dab up paint splotches onto the page.  Love the wispy wrinkles and tatters!!  Then I sprayed and misted it with Tsukineko Walnut Ink Antiquing Solution in Cornflower and Clearsnap Smooch Spritz in Carrot Cake.



I had been wanting to make a spider out of this gem for some time, but wasn't sure how to make it work.  So I sat down today and figured out a way.  Do you like her?  

I backed the abdomen with some patterned paper so she wouldn't get "lost" amongst her web.  The legs are made of craft wire that I wrapped turquoise washi tape around and inked and heat embossed with copper powder.  I really like how creepy she looks.  



The messy web is made of some dollar store "creepy cloth".   I dabbed some gesso and Distress Ink over it to make it look more web-ish.  

The BEWARE sign is a Unity grab bag stamp I received this week.  (THANKS, Unity!!!)  I used the tree stamp from my Lawn Fawn - Into the Woods stamp set for the woodgrain background.  


Do you see the ravens flying around in the distant sky in the photo below?  That is another Unity grab bag stamp I just received.  Perfect for spooky evening scenes, but will work great for lighter mood cards, too!  I stamped it several times with Onyx Black Versafine ink and heat embossed with clear powder.  LOVE!!!


I finished off my project with a few autumn leaves.  The orange one was a bit too bright, so I toned it down by sponging on some Distress Ink in Walnut Stain.  I love the skeletal leaf layered on top. I just picked up a package of these at the dollar store the other day. Cool find!    

Hope you enjoyed my creepy project today!  It was a lot of fun to make.

Be sure to join me next week right here at Her Peaceful Garden for my Cat Lovers Hop! Please read my Guidelines and FAQs page so you can play along and be eligible for the fabulous prizes!!!  I have the most awesome sponsors, including Unity!!!  Yay!!!  

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your wonderful comments.  See you later............

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this art journal page in the following challenges:
1.  Unity - Friends with Flair Link Up
2.  Wow! Embossing Powder October Challenge - Anything but a Card
3.  One Crazy Stamper October Challenge - Christmas, Halloween, or Fall
4.  Double Click Connections Challenge #33 - Halloween or Orange/Purple/Green colors
5.  DL.Art Thankful Thursday #166 - Halloween/Thank You
6.  The Male Room Challenge #21 - Halloween
7.  Rubber Dance October Challenge
8.   DL.Art October Challenge Linky Party
9.   Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Monster Mash

10. Crop Stop Linky Party #9 - Anything Goes with product that CS sells (Lawn Fawn, Distress Ink)

11. Try It On Tuesdays - It's Frightening/Halloween
12. Moving Along With The Times Challenge #6 - Halloween
13. The Paper Girls Challenge #90 - Get Ready For Halloween

29 comments:

  1. This is SO great you're right spiders are creepy but I definitely think he blends in on this a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific project with a beautiful setting for the wonderful spider

    Thank you for sharing it at Try it on Tuesday

    Lovec Chrissie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes Janis!!! This is just amazing and yes, so very creepy! I actually don't mind spiders, but I have to say that if I saw one this large, with a big gleaming abdomen like this I would think twice about crossing its path (or is it black cats that I should stay away from???). All this texture and the creative way you used wire and washi for the legs just has me bowing down to you. You combined so many different supplies into a spectacular project............two thumbs, and eight legs up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous mixed media creation. Fantastic spider!
    Thank you for joining us at TioT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh - totally GORGEOUS :-) I LUV creepy stuff and would definitely have this on my wall. :-D
    Your colours and texture are amazing.

    Hugz
    IKE xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning. I love the way you incorporated the gem and all of the texture. Thank you for joining the DL.ART Thankful Thursday Halloween Challenge.
    KatieO
    DL.ART-DTmember

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice 'Spider' card for Halloween, thanks for joining us at MAWTT, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of interesting elements on your mixed media project, Janis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative and pretty mixed media project. I like how the spider turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a little bit creepy. I am not a spider fan, especially when they appear unexpectedly. That said, I love your mixed media piece. Great colours and yummy texture. Did I mention the creepy spider?? Thanks for joining up at Rubber Dance this month. Looking forward to the cat hop. Off to check out the guidelines...... Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Janis, this is totally awesome! That spider is fabulous and the "Beware" sentiment sure is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a cool spider! I love how you created her, awesome mixed media project!

    Thanks for joining us over at Doubleclick Skittles Challenge!
    Lori
    Guest Designer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowser! This really is fabulous - I love the spider! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It doesn't get any more creative than this! Love the gem for the spider!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such spooky details! Great mixed media artwork! Thanks for joining us over at the DoubleClick Skittles Challenge! DT Member Carri~Abusybee Skittles!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out great Janis. Very fall-ish/spooky. Good job.
    My DIL's birthday is Oct. 30th and my sisters is on Halloween so I "need" to do something to reference BOTH occasions. My standard Happy Boo-thday is getting old. LOL And I don't want to do anything too ghoul-ish, after all it IS their special day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowwwwwww! This is stunning! Thank you for joining us at the DoubleClick Skittles Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't make creepy projects either but this turned out awesome. I like how you created the spider.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW this is gorgeous so much textured and layers.............Lis

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - your art journal page is totally awesome! Love the rich colours, the textures and that magnificent spider (yes, I know it's not how you'd normally describe a spider, but it is!). Great work. Thanks so much for playing along with our Halloween theme at The Male Room!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Spectacular work of art Janis! Love the vivid colors, textures and that brilliant creepy spider is just amazing with its web!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A fabulous textured and colourful piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great project. I love all of the texture. Amazing! Thank you for sharing your work with us for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. ~ Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful and so very warm. Love the layering of items :) Thanks so much for joining us at our monthly challenge at Rubber Dance Stamps!

    Majo - DT ♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely SPOOKTACULAR and awesome in every way!!!! So very glad you joined us for the Halloween Challenge over at DoubleClick!! We are so happy to see your clever project!! Hope to see you again soon!!!
    Taunya Butler
    DoubleClick Design Team
    http://daisiesgirl.com/

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis