Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Crazy Conversations With a Friend - FWF 10-14


It makes sense to them!!!  


<<<MARK YOUR CALENDARS>>>> 
Oct. 26-30, 2015
Right here at Her Peaceful Garden


Don't be out-of-date, put this reminder badge on your blog!!!

Get a head start by looking at the Hop Guidelines Page!!


Hi, Friends.....

I was sorting through old boxes yesterday and found the cooooooooooooolest newspaper advertising supplement!!!  It's from the Kennewick, Washington newspaper and dated May 16, 1974. Ha!  
TOO MUCH FUN!!!   I knew I wanted to use some of the images from the ads for my Unity - Friends with Flair project.  :)


Now, before I go on, I want the record to show that I, Janis, am not the one that saved this paper for so long.  I only lived in the Tri-Cities for a couple of years and it wasn't ANY time in the 70s!!! Hmmm...now who could it be that has had this sitting around in a box for so long...???  lol...

I also want the record to show that just because I am in love with this newspaper section now in 2015, this in NO WAY should be interpreted to mean that we should save all current newspapers for me to use in 40 years for making craft projects!!!  Ha.  
[Too bad my dear hubby doesn't read my blog when there's actually something he should see!!!  :)  Okay, to be fair, this might have been in with some things that my dear MIL sorted through when she was clearing out her house of 40 years.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure she lived in that house in 1974!  Maybe, though... ]



Gals...Get your man some white knit jeans!!  At this price, they won't last.... lol...
This newspaper is so full of great ads that I couldn't bear to cut up the original.  
Instead, I made copies of the images I wanted to use for this card...then I didn't destroy things on the other side of the page like this one.  So funny.




 Okay.....enough fun and games.....

Here's my card:

Isn't this Unity sentiment a riot!!!???  D. Ann of D.Ann's Crafting Whims sent it to me with some other wonderful items and I absolutely LOVE it!!!  
(THANKS, D.Ann!!!)  I couldn't resist teaming it up with my 70's gals.

I mounted a couple of the images from the ads on cardstock for stiffness and fussy cut them out.  Then I colored portions of the images with pale pink and lavender tones from my Spectrum Noirs.  I layered one over the other with foam squares on my Distress Ink watercolor background.

Here's a closer look at the sentiment.  I stamped it with Versafine Ink in Smokey Gray and heat embossed it with clear powder.  I also added a few iridescent sequins here and there....just to remind us of the shimmery pale pink lipstick of the era.  lol...












Here's a little closer view of my fresh-faced beauties.  




Note:  By the way....If these gals do NOT look outdated to you, then you need to turn off your computer and get out more often!!!  Ha.





Hope you have enjoyed my card.  It sure was a lot of fun to make!! 

Are you all getting ready for my Cat Lovers Hop????  It's not too early to be working on your projects, but please don't post them till my linky goes live on Oct. 26!!!  Go ahead and snag the badge for your sidebar right away, though, and tell your bloggy friends!!!   

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1.  Unity - Friends with Flair Link-Up
2.  Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Wonderful Watercolor
3.  Crop Stop Linky Party #9 - Anything Goes using a CS product (I used Distress Inks)
4.  Tuesday Throwdown Challenge #266 - Watercolor
5.  DL.Art October Linky - Anything Goes
6.  Little Scrap Pieces Linky Party
7.  Twofers Challenge #5 - Vintage/Retro

18 comments:

  1. Oh my GOSH! I absolutely ADORE this - the sentiment has my name written ALL over it - I knew we had a lot in common (besides the fact that I don't have anyone but myself to blame for all the stuff I've accumulated. . . ) ~ You should consider entering this in the TWOFERS Challenge (http://twoferschallenge.blogspot.com/) - you still have about 2 days to enter and it certainly fits our them of Vintage/Retro! Hugs ~ Christi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super sentiment and images, very cool and 70s like with a modern twist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very cool. Love your ladies and the sentiment. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. White knit jeans? Wow I don't remember that at all! Love the adds these are super fun! Kind of a Mad Men look to it! Awesome project here girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the card! And I love how you incorporated the newspaper. Genius

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant reminder of those bright vivid days and the hair! oh the hair lol. Terrific sentiment as well as apt today as it was then. Thank you for sharing this with us at Twofers hope to see you again soon. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are WAY too funny, girl! What a FAB card! I'm glad to see that stamp's happy in it's new home... I need to get it's twin inked up again. I'm getting my kits in order (vs ducks in order) for the hop!! >^.^<

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super retro card - I love that sentiment and can think of the perfect person to send that card to. But to be honest I fell in love with this post long before I got to the card, that's what cute kitty photos do to me! Thank you very much for joining us at Twofers - I hope we will see you again soon
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative mind you have, Janis - I love it! And your card, too.
    When I first saw your post about a Cat Lovers Hop, I so wanted to be able to create something, but just knew I had no cat stuff ... or did I? lol It's amazing what you find in all your stuff that you just didn't know you had. I'm on card 2 now and hope to make at least one more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun blog post, Janis! Loving all the old papers you found - I usually find stuff like that when I'm unpacking some old, tucked away box full of mementos or memorabilia. Only one more closet to go thru with those types of things in it! Love your card, too! You're right - that sentiment is so accurately descriptive of a loving friendship! LOL Hope your week has been a good one! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool find for sure. Awesome vintage style card and fun sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfectly enjoyable post Janis, from the kitty-logic photo at the top, down through your treasure finding expedition and repurposing of that old ad, all the way through to the tongue in cheek finished card. I am afraid that I have you beat with old newspapers that have been hoarded, er, I mean saved through no fault of your own. I once found a newspaper from 1970, and it didn't even have fun ads in it! I have to admit that I got sidetracked reading through those 1974 prices on such fashionable items as famous white knit jeans and brand-name colored jeans for only $3.88 (small sizes only, of course...like size 0 and size 1, no doubt). Perfect use for that fabulous Unity stamp, which is even more hilarious because those lovely lasses look totally clueless!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it. It fits me and my friends prefectly. Were totally different but we work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing these inn the form of copies and for loving the originals for what they are .......Lis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous card and such fun images! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sentiment is a riot!! I just adore how you used that old newspaper to create such a vintage look. Super cute, but I think you're right about saving hte newspapers from today. I already save enough things!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis