Friday, October 9, 2015

"Be YOU".....FWF 10-9








<<<MARK YOUR CALENDARS>>>> 
CAT LOVERS HOP
Oct. 26-30, 2015
Right here at Her Peaceful Garden


Pounce on this Badge for your Blog!!!!
Attract more crafty cats to your blog by displaying this badge!!!


Hi, Friends......

I am back to share a card I made for this week's Unity - Friends with Flair link up and also for the Hop to Stop Challenge over at Becca Cruger's Damsel of Distressed blog.


http://damselofdistressedcards.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-hop-to-stop.html

I'm sure you have seen the purple cards all over the papercrafting blogosphere, but in case you don't know.....October is National Domestic Violence Awareness month and purple is the color they have chosen to help us remember this important issue.  

I am very touched by the stories I have read on Becca's blog and elsewhere from women who have suffered violence at the hands of their husbands or boyfriends.  My work at our local crisis pregnancy and family resource center (before my daughter and granddaughter came to live with us last year) put me in contact with many women with similar heartbreaking stories.  In fact, domestic abuse is one of the unifying themes among the clients there.  In the middle of the pain and devastating loneliness these victims experience, we offer a listening ear, prayers, encouraging words, and referrals to agencies and organizations that can help.  What a joy to see women be strengthened and empowered to make healthy decisions for themselves and for their children.  Thank you, Becca, for hosting this important hop.

For my card today, I made a watercolor background inspired by the Winnie & Walter WCMD watercolor challenge.  I smooshed Distress Inks around on a craft sheet and misted with water.  Then laid my wet mixed media paper on top.  


I used this lovely Wistful stamp that I recently won from Penny Black (THANKS, PB!!!) and a neglected Unity grab bag stamp - "Be YOU".  (I am still challenging myself to use my under- or never-used Unitys!)  Both are stamped with Versafine ink in Onyx Black and heat embossed with clear powder.  I added some little bits of bling from my stash and tied it with a soft yarn bow.  LOVE how it turned out!!!


Yes, I really DO craft surrounded by this mess!!
Winnie & Walter is also having another fun little WCMD challenge to post a "craftie" of your workspace in action......at least they didn't require a selfie!!  lol...  Here's my "adopted" workspace since my real craft table doesn't have a spot for me to work in, anymore.  Ha.  My son is moving his bedroom library down to the basement, so sometime in the future I will have his room as my craft room!  Yay!!!  In the meantime, my craft space is in several places.  :)

This photo shows today's card in process.  




That's all for now.  Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments you made on my ATCs!!!  Since it was my first attempt, I was pretty unsure of myself.  I appreciated each of your encouraging messages!  Have a wonderful weekend!!!

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1.  Unity Friends with Flair Link-Up
2.  Hop to Stop
3.  Winnie & Walter WCMD Craftie Challenge  GP
4.  Winnie & Walter WCMD Watercolor Challenge GP
5.  Simon Says Stamp World Card Making Day Challenge
6.  DL.Art October Challenge - Anything Goes
7.  Fashionable Stamping Challenges #103 - Words
8.  Crop Stop Linky Party #8 - Anything Goes with product that CS sells (I used Distress Inks and Fiskars Triple-Track Blades in my Fiskars cutter, shown in my workspace photo.)
9. Your Next Stamp Sketch and Color Challenge #24











26 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! Great background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Janis! I'm visiting from The Hop to Stop. I'm glad to see you supporting this important cause. Your purple beauty looks amazing! I love the background you created with distress inks. I appreciate your support of domestic violence awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL card!!!
    LOVE your image & sentiment, LOVE your background too!!!
    THANK YOU for sharing your INKY INSPIRATION and all you do to help those in need too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!...image and sentiment...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty for this great cause! Love that distress BG with soft yarn, a perfect sentiment too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great need associated with the cause, glad you are participating! You card is Really beautiful :) I love the background you created to go with the image :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally made a couple of cards today for the hop and am so grateful to those who are spreading the word. My daughter and I donate items and time to the women's shelter near her home and I will be taking some cards over there this month as well. Your card is gorgeous with that watercolor background and the wonderful silhouette stamp! Those rhinestones and sequins make it even more magical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty I love your background paper that you made.
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes OCTOBER Linky Challenge. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.

    DL.ART DESIGN TEAM MEMBER
    DL.ART
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com
    http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! This is stunning , Janis!
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning card, Janis! Beautiful background. Love the sparkle in her hair. Perfect for Becca's Hop to Stop.
    P.S. So happy to see your name as a winner several times this past week! I always do a little clap of the hands when I see someone I "know" win. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's incredible, isn't it, just how much domestic violence goes on that people who don't work in those direct service agencies (like the pregnancy center) never know about. Love the watercolored, inky background and that beautiful image. Thank you so much for raising your voice and sharing your talents at the Hop to Stop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great job to have, helping women in their time of need. The support you offer them is priceless.
    I love the water color in your card , the glitter is great and I love the sediment you used

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous background and you could not have chosen a better image for it ...........Lis

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful card...the water color background is stunning and your image is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your pretty, unique card! The details are so pretty and I love the message!
    Take care!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful, gentle card, perfect for the occasion....thanks so much for sharing with us at FSC...Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Edgy! Love it! Thanks for sharing with us at FSC!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning card...and what a wonderful sentiment! Thanks for sharing...and joining the Hop to Stop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOH, what a beautiful background. I love the black images against it! How inspiring to help people that are down on their luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great effect you created for that beautiful background. Just gorgeous. I love getting inky and playing around with distress inks. Thanks for sharing your lovely card for our recent challenge at Your Next Stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great look.. love how you used the challenge colors! Thanks for joining us at YNS!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a pretty card with that watercolor background. It has such great texture and movement. Thanks for joining in the fun at YNS!!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis