Friday, January 16, 2015

Friends with Flair - A Certain Darkness is Needed...

"Martha.... It got the dogs this time!!!"
"If there is one spot of sun spilling onto the floor, a cat will find it and soak it up."
                                                                           ------------Joan Asper McIntosh



Hi, Friends......

I'm here with the first of two Unity - Friends with Flair posts.  This card definitely has a masculine look, but could be for either.  I received this Unity sentiment stamp some time back, and I don't see it in their catalog anymore....although there is one with the words only.  I teamed it up with my Winnie & Walter - Scenery: Big Bang Confetti to enter in their big First Birthday Challenge extravaganza!!  

I first sponged a bit of Distress Ink - Mustard Seed onto my cardstock and then stamped my stars in Versamark and heat embossed them in clear.  This gave my stars a slight yellow tinge and added interest to the other Distress Inks I used
(Worn Lipstick, Broken China, Stormy Sky, Salty Ocean, Dusty Concord).





I stamped the sentiment on white cardstock with Distress Ink - Stormy Sky and mounted the panel on Core'dinations navy cardstock and the whole front on to the same color of card base.  

I like how my night sky turned out bright in this card, rather than dark.  I love a deep, dark look, but I live in a place with such terrific night skies that sometimes they almost seem bright with stars.  The Milky Way occasionally seems like it floods the sky with so much light that I could almost read by it.  It isn't truly that bright, but it does put out a lot of light! [By the way, are there any other sky buffs that have been watching Comet Lovejoy?  :)]  Anyway, I really love the look of this colorful and bright starry sky.  Hope you do, too!

Thanks for stopping in.  I will have another Unity post later on.  Have a lovely weekend!!! 

<3 
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1.  Unity Friends with Flair Link-Up
2.  Winnie & Walter - 1st Birthday Bash - Gradient Challenge
3.  Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - It's a Guy Thing
4.  Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Inky Background 
5.  Craft Stamper - Take it Make it Challenge January 2015 - Take a Stamp
  

42 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous card I love your stary background. Thanks for joining in the Craft Stamper challenge, Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth!! I appreciate your sweet words!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. Great card! Love the sunlight images above, so funny. Thanks for joining us at the CS Take It Make It Challenge. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee!!! I appreciate your visit and comments!! I love that death ray one, too. lol....

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. I saw you on Unity FWF
    This is a keeper!! I love it.
    Have a Blessed day, DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! Your kind words mean a lot to me!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. Very pretty card! I love the aurora color effect with the stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal. I thought it kind of looked like an aurora, too. We never get that good of Northern Lights here in North Central Idaho....only in my dreams.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. Lovely card love the colours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mandi!!! I appreciate you stopping by. Have a lovely weekend!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  6. Great sentiment and I love your starry background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  7. Very nice card and the dog picture & quote made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gaylynn. That dog picture always cracks me up. Animal lovers everywhere have seen their pets "dead" in the sunshine. lol.... Have a wonderful weekend!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  8. Love the starry background you created.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this background and since the bg is basically the card i love the whole of it .Lis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lis, your sweet comments always warm my heart!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  10. What a truly lovely card! There are so many things to like about it. That sentiment is inspiring and I love how you paired it with scenery to match. The embossed stars stand out beautifully against the background and I like how the background isn't just one color- it's a unique blend and I especially like the hints of yellow thrown in. This is a great interpretation of our theme this week, so thank you for sharing this with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Andrea!!! Your thoughtful and encouraging comments made my day!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  11. Great sentiment to go with all those stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara!!! I appreciate your visit!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  12. Lovely stary background
    Thank you for joining us at craft stamper magazine make it take it blog! We also have a blog hop going on at the moment hop over and join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie!! I appreciate you stopping by on your rounds and leaving your nice comment. Also, thank you for the reminder of the hop. I enjoyed seeing all the projects!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  13. Beautiful starry background ... love the colours. Thanks for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge ..... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I appreciate your nice words so much. Have a lovely week!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  14. Sometimes the Unity surprise bags have the best stamps. This is one of those lovely gifts. You're background is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Anne!!! I totally agree abt the Unity grab bags!! There are always some real gems in there. :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  15. Great card. Love the background. The sentiment is gorgeous. Thanks for your comment. You said you had never stamped on tissue. I recommend you give it a go. Pick white uncoated tissue and make sure you rip the edges, don't cut them. This means when you glue it down the edges disappear. It's a great technique for when you are trying to stamp on a textured surface or for reversing an image. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tips on using tissue, Gail. That's a great idea for reversing an image. Now I have to see if I have any uncoated tissue. I think I do.....between my acetate sheets!!! Aha! More techniques to try........ :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  16. Beautiful, Janis! Love how you did the background!! Thank you so much for playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa!! I appreciate your kind words!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  17. beautiful card! love the resist :) i'm a little late in my commenting but wanted to thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn!!! It's really sweet of you to stop by. You lovely comment means a lot to me.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  18. Another beautiful card with a fun technique! Besides the resist embossed stamping, I really love the mix of colors you sponged onto the starry background and the deep blue that you used as your card base and sentiment mat. It makes the lighter brighter background glow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen!!! That background was a lot of fun to make. I wasn't sure if all the different colors would work together, but I liked how it turned out.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  19. Beautiful starry background Janis!!! Thank you for joining in at the Take it, Make it Challenge xxx

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis