Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Layered Embossing 4 - From an old Primer


"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the animal kingdom."
                                                                       -------------Robert Southey

Hi, Friends.....

Can you stand to see one more entry in the MFP Speedy Fox and Friends Layered Embossing challenge????  I couldn't let this challenge go by without adding some heat embossing to my layered dry embossing, right?  :)  
 


Again, I used scraps from my DCWV Solstice Stack and layered them on my background.  I dry embossed the piece with my Darice Honeycomb folder and then brayered some Versamark over the top of it and heat embossed with gold.  I repeated this step once to get better definition of the hexagons.  

The stamp is one I found in a grab bag.  The image appears to be taken from an old primer and the sentiment is difficult to read, so I will tell you what it says:
 "Was a Hive -- in which honey-bees live, --
Bread and Honey I think very nice;
Then if you make haste, and your alphabet learn,
Perhaps you may get a good slice."
Charming, isn't it?  I love old primers!  I stamped it on some pulpy paper (inked edges with Distress Ink - Mustard Seed) and heat embossed it in gold.  I placed it on a die-cut panel from Inspired by Stamping - Fancy Labels 3 dies that I had also heat-embossed in gold....at least the parts that were going to show!  :)  You can see the gleam in the photo below.  
I layered up some Prima flowers with a sequin center for the upper left corner.  For the lower right, I put glitter glue centers and added a tiny doily punched heart as a sort of little pocket for the flowers.  

Do you see the speckles on the large yellow layer of the flower below?  This flower originally had just a dark line of brown on the lower "seven o'clock" area.  I thought it looked out of place by itself, so I took a coordinating marker and added more splashes of stain.  I like it much better this way.  :)


 So that wraps up my 4 entries for the MFP Speedy Fox and Friends Layered Embossing challenge.  Hope you have enjoyed seeing them.  I love all your comments, so please keep them coming!!  :)  Have a lovely mid-week.

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. MFP Speedy Fox and Friends Challenge #244 - Layered Embossing
2. Vandicrafts Artistry Challenge Jan 2015 - Anything Goes
3. Craft Stamper - Take it Make it Challenge January 2015 - Take a Stamp
4. Inspired by Stamping Customer Gallery Contest - January 2015
5. Pixie's Crafty Workshop - Snippets Playground Week 159

36 comments:

  1. ooooooo I love the heat emboss on the folder this is beautiful Thanks for sharing at MFP SFF........Lis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lis!! Your comment totally made my day!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. Love the embossing technique you used. Very pretty card! Thank you for sharing with us at MFP Blog Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vickie!! You know me and embossing......it taxed me to go this long without using some gold EP! :) I appreciate your visit and sweet words!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. oh wow, Janis! I never thought to use a brayer with VM ink to heat emboss on top of dry embossed paper! What a fabulous idea. Is it very difficult to ink up with the VM? I'm thinking not since VM is so user friendly. Your card is fabulous, and I love all the gold embossing on it. Thank you for all the close-ups and tips! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, you are so sweet to leave such a nice comment on my work, particularly since I think you are world-class in your cards and techniques!!

      It is not difficult to brayer with the VM, but it is imprecise. On dry embossing with large open areas, you will get some VM in those open areas which will pick up the embossing powder. You can see that here and there in my card above. I don't mind that look at all....a teensy bit grunge...but some might dislike the unpredictability.

      Thanks again for your visit and lovely comment!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. The texture you achieved here is amazing, and I love the touch of gold! Hexagons are one of my favorites and you nailed this challenge straight up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! I appreciate your visit and kind words so much!! Have a lovely week!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. All that gold is just beautiful! The texture on this card is awesome, too! Thanks for joining us at Inspired By Stamping! Hope you join us again soon! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mynn!!! I appreciate your visit and sweet comment!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  6. Wahoo Janis! Absolutely gorgeous!

    Hugs

    Di
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Di!!! :) Your wahoo made my day!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  7. What fabulous colors, texture and design.

    Best of the New Year.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diane!! Happy New Year to you, too!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  8. Oh Janis! I LOVE this card. It should be framed or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, coming from a family of honey producers, I can maybe guess what you like about this card. :) Thanks so much, Christy. Your comment made my day!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  9. That's gorgeous what fab textures, thanks for joining in the Craft Stampers challenge, Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth!!! I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  10. Lovely card! The gold embossing is genius. Thanks for joining us at the CS Take It Make It Challenge. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Renee!! Your kind words mean so very much to me!!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  11. Well, Janice, I am getting to visit you over and over today. Love all your projects!
    Thanks for joining us this week at the MFP/SFF layered embossing challenge.
    kReN@afourthlife.blogspot.com
    MFP/DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, again, Kren! :) Thanks for all your sweet comments today!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  12. Lovely card .... great job with the embossing! Thanks for joining in with the Craft Stamper challenge ..... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda!! Your kind words mean a lot to me. Have a wonderful week!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  13. Terrific card. Lovely in yellow white and gold xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your visit and nice comment!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  14. Ooh, layer and texture and layers and texture. Gorgeous. I love the colours and theme. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gail. I appreciate your encouragement and support!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  15. Your double-embossing technique is always so wonderfully textured and unique! The hexagon folder with gold heat embossing, combined with that vintage bee hive image makes a beautiful vintage piece. I also love the way you balanced out the flower by adding dark brown stain to the other petals to make it all look even more distressed and vintage....so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! I think I will adopt your terminology for my technique....."double embossing". What would I do without you??? I don't think she even realizes it, but Donna Ellis is the one who gave me the idea for the term "Molten Technique" for when I put my double embossing technique on steroids. Ha!!! You know the look I am talking about. Hehehehee... So much fun!!! :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  16. Loving your beautiful textured card Janis, so happy you joined in at Craft Stampers Take it, Make it challenge xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy! I am sorry I didn't get this comment replied to sooner. I appreciate you stopping by and leaving your sweet comment!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  17. I love how this one came together! I am seriously going to have to try this technique soon! :) Thank you for sharing on January 2015 Artistry Challenge. Winner of January's goodie bag will be announced on February 15, 2015.
    Melissa - Vandicrafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa!! I am looking fwd to seeing what you do with the Layered Embossing technique!!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  18. The gold embossing on top of the texture embossing is so beautiful. It just gives that wonderful guilded feel to your card. Thanks for sharing with us at Speedy Fox and Friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine!!! I do love that gold, too. So sunshiny with the yellow!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis