Friday, January 23, 2015

You are Beautiful, Valentine - Friends with Flair




"Prowling his own quiet backyard or asleep by the fire, he is still only a whisker away from the wilds."
                                                                                ------------Jean Burden

Hi, Friends......

I'm here with a valentine for my first of two posts for today, both for Unity - Friends with Flair.  This one also will go in the MFP - Speedy Fox & Friends - Make a Rainbow challenge.

I made my sparkly heart by cutting a heart-shaped piece from an Adhesive Sheet from Scrapbook-Adhesives. I have only used this one time before (a long time ago) and I did not use it the right way this time.......but it worked!  I peeled the protective waxed layer off the heart shape and sprinkled on my sequins in colored bands.  


You'd think with this many colors of sequins, I'd have all the rainbow colors....but I didn't have the right color of orange.  So I chose my orangest gold ones and colored them with an orange Sharpie marker!!!


They didn't turn out perfect....and these particular sequins were not even the same size as my others....but I think it's okay.  You can see them better in this close-up.



You also can see that I filled in the gaps with glitter glue. 


This is not my entire collection of glitter glue, but again I didn't have any orange!!!  (What is with not having any orange????)  I did have an orangey-gold, though, so I used it.


The glitter glue actually accomplished two purposes.  Since I merely poured my sequins out into bands and loosely arranged the errant ones, some of the discs were only contacting the adhesive by one edge.  They weren't completely fastened down and were "floppy".  By filling in with glitter glue, the "white" areas got covered and the loose sequins were secured.  Plus, it added extra sparkle!  I was delighted with how well the glitter glue matched all the other colors.  :)  (Note to self:  look for orange sequins and orange glitter glue!  Prob won't find any until autumn, now...)

For my background, I inked the edges of some kraft with Distress Ink - Walnut Stain and dry embossed with my Darice - Interlocking Circles folder.  Then I decided I wanted some gold on it, so I brayered Versamark lightly over the pattern and sprinkled with gold embossing powder.  Well, it stuck to the edges where the DI was still slightly damp.  However, since I didn't feel like doing the whole background over again I like gold on edges, I went ahead and zapped it with my heat gun.  :)  You can still see a bit of the inking through the gold.

I attached my heart onto the kraft background with Beacon 3 in 1, since I hadn't used the the Adhesive Sheet the right way and it was impossible to remove the paper backing to stick it on directly.  Still not quite sure what I should have done there! (shrug...)  We crafters have to be crafty about fixing our mistakes, sometimes.....at least I do!  Ha!!


I stamped and heat embossed my Unity sentiment in white on some plain kraft and mounted it on the card front.  I considered matting it with red, but didn't want to draw any attention away from the sparkly heart.  I put the whole card front on a red card base.  I love how it turned out.

That's all for this post.....but hang on to your bonnet, Lizzie, because I have another Friends with Flair post coming up later!  See you then......

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1.  MFP Speedy Fox & Friends Challenge #245 - Make a Rainbow
2.  Unity Happy Friends with Flair Link-Up
3.  Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Have a Heart 
4.  DL.Art Thankful Thursday Challenge #149 - Valentine's Day
5.  Time Out Challenges #23 - Valentine's Day with option of Hearts

45 comments:

  1. Wow what patience you must have and IT is well rewarded! The rainbow looks the right colours to me and all the sparkle and shine will be loved for sure. Thanks for joining time out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandie. I appreciate your visit and nice comment!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous I love all those sequins- Isn't it funny how you think you have the right stuff, because you have so many then it turns out you do not. I also saw you on Unity FWF
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes January Linky Party. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana!! You are so right....You think we have every color of every supply ever made....and then we don't!! Ha. Have a lovely weekend!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh this is amazing! Love your sparkly rainbow heart and how you've got the glitz going on throughout. Great sentiment for someone you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Donna!! Your lovely comment made my day!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. Beautiful sequined heart! Thank you for sharing with us at MFP Speedy Fox and Friends Rainbow Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vickie!!! I have a lot of fun with that Rainbow Challenge!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. WOW This card is so pretty. Love the way you did the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruby. I appreciate your kind words!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  6. That sequin heart is so fun and creative! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Crystal. Your nice comment means a lot to me!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  7. Bling, bling! The heart is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sing, sing!! Your comment makes my heart go thumpety thump. :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  8. What a great idea, Janis! Your card will be a sparkly hit with someone special! Thanks for sharing this in our "Have a Heart" challenge this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lin. Your nice comment is very encouraging to me!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  9. How fun is this?! I love all the sparkle and fabulous colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya!!! I am so glad you stopped in. Have a lovely weekend!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  10. Saw this on the Unity Friends with Flair. This is so very creative! Fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeekk......somehow I forgot to reply to a bunch of these comments!!! Sorry.
      Thank you so much, Caroline. I appreciate your visit and nice words!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  11. Such a beautiful sparkly heart card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lagene, thanks so much for stopping by!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  12. This is awesome! I like the gold embossing and the addition of glitter glue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I thought I had replied to all these comments. But somehow I missed them. I will blame it on Blogger. Ha!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  13. Love all the sparkle! That heart is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. I am convinced that Blogger ate a bunch of these comments. :) Sorry for not noticing that earlier.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  14. LOVE your beautiful card. Thanks for sharing.
    Crafty hugs,
    Dawn
    Designs By Dragonfly {blogspot}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add..
      I'm stopping by from Unity's Friends with Flair.
      Crafty hugs,
      Dawn

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Dawn. I always enjoy seeing your cards, too. I appreciate you stopping by!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  15. Sparkle that is always an eye catcher Lovely job........Lis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lis!!! I am dazzled by anything sparkly!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  16. WOOZER!!! this is stunning . I love bling, and this is just amazing!! I bet it was so fun running your fingers through all those sequins!!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooooo much, Paula! Oh, yes, it was delicious digging around in those gorgeous sequins!! Yum!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  17. Good Grief! This is amazing! The rainbow heart is eye-popping with those brilliantly colored sequins and I LOVE that you custom-colored the orange ones! I think the orangey-gold ones would have been great just the way they are but the orange that you ended up with is nice and rich. Great use of the glitter glue to fill the gaps and add even more sparkle. More double-embossing magic and another gorgeous card! I may have to steal this design..only without the meticulous hand-coloring of the sequins, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen!!! Actually hand coloring those sequins didn't take very long at all. I did it after they were on the heart, but before the glitter glue....took all of 2 or 3 minutes, if that. By the way, thanks for appreciating the glitter glue. I realize it is often considered perhaps an elementary school kind of art supply, but I LOVE it!! Ha. You know me and things that sparkle! :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  18. Love all of the sparkle. Terrific heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Gaylynn!! I am so glad you came by!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  19. I love the different sized sequence I know you said it is not exactly what you wanted but I think it looks perfect. The sparkles look great with the sequence. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate your visit!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  20. So sparkly and colourful :) Thanks so much for taking the TIME OUT and joining in on the challenge. This would also fit into the current challenge over at Uniko Studio! hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice of you to stop in, Beverley!!! Thank you for your sweet comment. Have a lovely week!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  21. This was inspired. I love how you made your rainbow out of sequins. I'm so glad I came back to check all the entries because missing this would be a shame. Thanks for sharing with us at Speedy Fox and Friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, your comment made my day!! Thank you so much for your kind words!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis