Sunday, January 11, 2015

Layered Embossing 1 - Christmas Cards

This is an oldie, but it rang true with the BFF - "Best Friend Fell"...ugh...


 "Even if you have just destroyed a Ming vase, purr.  Usually all will be forgiven."
                                                                         ------------Lenny Rubenstein


Hi, Friends.....

I am back.....still hobbling because of my badly bruised knee....and still feeling the lingering fatigue of the bug that caught me.  Ugh...  But I was able to make a really fun little set of cards for a Mark's Finest Papers challenge asking us to do "Layered Embossing".  Well, you know me....I cannot resist any new technique that has the embossing word in it!  And........I had just the card in mind!!

I planned hoped to make something like this for Christmas cards this year (last year....whatever year...2014!) but ran out of time and energy.  It was still brewing in my mind, though.  When I read about "Layered Embossing" where you glue on your die cuts, etc before dry embossing, instead of afterwards, I knew it would be perfect for my idea.



I received this fun little Pebbles Banner Kit in a prize recently.  My new-found love for simple triangle Christmas trees immediately saw patterned trees instead of banner pieces!!  So that's what I made.  :)  I don't know if this comes in the aqua and the blue colors or not, but this photo is a lot bluer than my kit is. I think it is just camera mischief and my aqua is what it is supposed to look like.





As a bonus, the adorable banner kit is NBUS (Never Before Used Schtuff), so it also qualifies my little project for Darnell's NBUS#3 Challenge.  Yay!  






For my card, I took a piece of heavy-weight white cardstock and stamped snowflakes from MFP Calendar stamp set in Distress Ink - Evergreen Bough.  I sponged it around the edges a bit, too.  Then I arranged my "trees" and glued them on with Beacon 3-in-1, trimming off excess.  Then I ran it through my Big Shot with my Darice "Snowflakes" embossing folder.  Voila!!!  Oh, my goodness......I LOVE THIS!!!!


I put a few accents of silver glitter glue in the round parts of the embossing pattern and on the main tree.  Then I tied it with the twine that came with the banner kit.  I mounted this one on white cardstock, but got so excited that I had to make three more with a few variations.
Although these will work great for Christmas cards, I actually am going to use one this week for a winter birthday card.....by stamping an appropriate birthday sentiment inside.  These also could be used for winter thank you cards.  I am in looooooooooooooove with this technique!!!!  Hope you have enjoyed my cards today.

**********************************************
Ding Ding Ding!!!  New Follower Introduction Time!!!
**********************************************
I have a couple of new followers that I was just too wiped out to do intros for last time.  These make 78 on Google Friend Connect!!  Yay!!!  Thanks for your patience, ladies!!

Mary H of Carolina Cards (Made by Mary H) has a wonderful chatty blog (I LOVE chatty blogs!!) that includes her lovely cards and also newsy bits about her family, etc.  It's filled with lots of photos (LOVE that, too!) and is tons of fun to browse through.   Mary, thanks so much for becoming a follower.  I am your newest follower, too!!!  This ginormous smile is what spreads across my face whenever I get a new follower......like you!!! 
:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hazel Kinvig-Paul of My Card Attic does lovely work with her cards. I am so impressed with her gift at using the CAS style.  What a knack she has for this!!!  You will want to go see her beautiful blog full of eye candy!!  Thank you, Hazel, for your support by becoming a follower!!!  This ginormous smile is all yours!!!
:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you, everyone, for stopping in today.  I appreciate how much time it takes to visit and to leave comments.  Your words mean a lot to me!!!  Have a lovely week!

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this set of cards in the following challenges:
1. MFP Speedy Fox and Friends Challenge #244 - Layered Embossing
2. Darnell's NBUS #3 Challenge - Never Before Used Schtuff!!
3. Vandicrafts Artistry Challenge Jan 2015 - Anything Goes
4. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Use Something New
5. Monday Morning Challenge #2 - New Somethings

28 comments:

  1. What a great idea to make a Wintery birthday card, one of these would be perfect, I just love all the textures and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I appreciate your lovely comment, Therese. Thank you for becoming a follower!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. Janis, your card is so cute. The Christmas trees and snowflakes were great for the embossing challenge. I also love the mix of dp's you used. Perfect Christmas cards! Thanks, so much for joining us for the Speedy Fox and Friends challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! These prints that came in that banner kit were really fun to use for the trees. Fun technique!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. Adorable card; love the colors you used. Thank you for sharing with us at MFP Speedy Fox and Friends Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vickie! The aqua and white turned out to have just the frosty look that I wanted. Glad you like it, too.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. Clever piece of double embossing! Great cards! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hazel!! I appreciate your visit and sweet comment!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. How cute! Great idea to do with the banners. Thanks so much for joining us this week at MFP Speedy Fox and Friends challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. I am not too much into making banners, so this seemed like the perfect thing to do with the lovely kit.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  6. How lovely this turned out perfect for the SFF MFP challenge Good luck...................Lis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lis!! I appreciate your visit!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  7. Janis, Thanks for the lovely welcome. I see I'm in good company being introduced with Hazel. She does fabulous cards! I really liked this card, and while I've seen this technique, have not tried it. Sure worked so pretty for you, with loads of interesting texture. I think you selected the perfect stamps & EF to do this effect, because it made a super card. Liked the extra detail of the bling too. TFS & Big Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary!! Your visit and sweet comments mean a lot to me!!! Hope your day is lovely!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  8. How lovely to see two of my good bloggie friends have found you, Janis! They will love coming here!! I'm so sorry about your knee, but my goodness, it did not stop your brain from designing this magnificent set of cards! That banner absolutely makes the best trees for winter cards in fantastic Oprah Wintry patterns! Thank you for sharing the awesome technique, which I have not tried before! And thank you so much for playing in and supporting my NBUS Challenge #3 for the third time!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Darnell!!! While I was laid up with my knee and the bug, I had zero energy for crafting....but my mind was going wild. Ack!! Problem is trying to remember all the great ideas I had while I was sick!!! Ha. Have a lovely weekend!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  9. Love how your card turned out. Those trees and snowflakes look wonderful!
    Thanks for joining us this week at the MFP/SFF layered embossing challenge.
    kReN@afourthlife.blogspot.com
    MFP/DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kren!! I love the look of those trees, too. I thought the colors were perfect for winter. Thanks so much for stopping by!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  10. This is such a beautiful set of Janis, fabulous design and love the embossing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ellie!!! I appreciate your nice words!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  11. Oh, I am going to have to try this technique as well, now that I see the fun results. This cute set of cards took your triangle tree design and ramped it up by 2 times! Love the added texture and those silver glitter glue accents are just the thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes....Karen. Once you get going on this technique you will love it so much you'll never quit!!! At least until something else catches our fancy, right? Ha. I love new embossing techniques!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  12. Oh great idea and layout! I will have to try that technique :) Thank you for sharing on January 2015 Artistry Challenge. Winner of January's goodie bag will be announced on February 15, 2015.
    Melissa - Vandicrafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa!!! I just love this layered embossing technique. I know it is one I am going to use often!!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  13. This is so fun. Love that you used the banner for cards. They turned out beautifully. I like the scene idea for this challenge. Thanks for playing with us at Speedy Fox and Friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine!!! The banner was so fun to turn into Christmas trees. :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis