Saturday, January 24, 2015

Waffle Flower Challenge - 1 Hello, Friend




"Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want."
                                                                        ---------------Joseph Wood Krutch



Hi, Friends.....

I am here with the first of two cards that I made for a fabulous challenge from Waffle Flower.  
 
Here's the photo inspiration.  Isn't that an awesome color palette???  I was just fascinated with these deep rich colors.  They are so different from what I usually use that I couldn't resist giving them a try! 





My card is a big departure from my regular style of layers of papers and lots of embossing.  Awhile back, I found two plastic French curve tools for a dime a piece at our local thrift store.  I couldn't pass them up because I knew I could use them somehow, eventually.  Ha! (The "somehow, eventually" justification is why my stash is overflowing!!!)


The other day, I had this idea to use one of these tools to draw a graceful curve across a card front and informally stamp small images following the curve.  When I saw the interesting palette for this challenge, I knew I wanted to give this idea a try using these colors.

I knew I wanted to use a solid heart as one of the little images, but looked in my stash and couldn't find a suitable stamp.  I did have one from a cheapo thrift store grab bag with a circle around the heart, though.  So, throwing caution to the wind, I carved off the circle with my utility knife and had the heart I wanted.  

A previous owner apparently stamped this with some kind of paint that left a wavy residue and wouldn't wash off.  I didn't realize that it would show up when I used it, but it does.....and I totally love the texture it adds!!!  In the photo below, you might notice that during my carving, I accidentally took a small chunk out of the heart...OOPS!  But, you know what?  I LOVE how that looks, too.  :)

My other little images are from a discontinued Clear Dollar Stamps set called Blooming Bouquet.  To go with my informal look, I used Distress Inks for stamping:  Aged Mahogany, Walnut Stain, Chipped Sapphire, and Stormy Sky.  The lovely scripty sentiment is from Inky Antics - Script Sentiments #1 that I also stamped in Aged Mahogany.  I wanted to keep the clean look to this card, so I made a very narrow mat with some deep blue Core'dinations cardstock. 

So what do you think???  Is this a style I should try more often?  I really love the graceful and casual look of the little images stamped on the curve.  It almost might make a CAS girl out of me....at least some of the time!  :)  

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I have another card for this same Waffle Flower challenge, so I will see you soon!  Have a lovely rest of the weekend!!!

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Waffle Flower Photo Inspiration Challenge January 12-25, 2015 
2. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Have a Heart
3. Add a Little Dazzle - Dazzling Diva Challenge #59 - Music or Anything Goes
4. Vandicrafts Artistry Challenge - January 2015 - Anything Goes

12 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous colour scheme and I love your card and those hearts look amazing as they are I agree they have some texture going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lyn. I so rarely work with these colors that it was a real delight!! Thanks for your nice words about my hearts, too. :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. Beautifully stamped, Janis! Love the array of hearts and colors! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Have A Heart” Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Virginia. I appreciate your visit so very much!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. Great card style and color combo. My stash overflows with somehow, eventually too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue!!! I bet your card group ministry is a great place to use stash stuff.....so you are okay. :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. What a lovely design...love the curved stamping! Such beautiful colors! So happy you could join us at the Dazzling Diva challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lee-Anne!! I am loving the Dazzling Diva challenges.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. Janis, this is a fabulous card!! I saw it on a couple of challenges and it caught my eye even before I knew it was one of yours! LOVE LOVE LOVE the way you used those tiny stamps to form a free-flowing, organic design. I never know what to do with all those extra teeny tiny stamps that come in sets, or those small (possibly useless, but you get them anyway...) images that come in grab bags. Now I am motivated to actually go through my stamps just to purposely look for those tiny stamps...so I can make something like this! Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Karen, your comment made my day!! (Even though I didn't see it until today! For some reason, occasionally your comments do not get delivered to my inbox like others do. Not sure why...) I am so glad my card inspired you to look for your little stamps for doing this, too. It was such a fun and easy card to make that I think I need to try this kind of design often!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  6. Oh very nice! I have never thought of doing that before! I am inspired as well! :) Thank you for sharing on January's Artistry Challenge. Melissa - Vandicrafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Melissa!!!! I can't wait to see what you do with the idea!!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis